Buildings contribute more to global warming than cars, trucks and buses combined, and consume large quantities of natural resources. Well-managed sustainability strategies not only reduce pressure on our resources, they also yield operational cost savings, healthier and more productive work environments, and more valuable assets.
For our clients and our own operations, Cushman & Wakefield creates action plans and a program of continuous improvement to deliver sustainability strategies that make a positive impact on the environment, local communities, and the long term value of our clients’ assets.
How Cushman & Wakefield Help You?
Cushman & Wakefield’s Sustainability Solutions team is a leader in sustainability services for the property industry offering a wide range of solutions to owners, occupiers, developers and investors. Cushman & Wakefield’s experienced team of sustainability specialists and engineers are dedicated to providing outstanding service and results. Learn more.
Property and portfolio strategy
- Baseline Assessments & Tracking across a spectrum of sustainability metrics, including energy, water, solid waste, and greenhouse gas emissions to measure progress towards client sustainability and financial goals, and to meet mandatory reporting requirements
- Operations & Maintenance Solutions to reduce a client’s environmental footprint and lower costs. We also identify resources and incentives to support the pursuit of these strategies, optimizing investment returns
- Energy Management for both demand and supply side issues tailored to each client’s needs. These programs have reduced clients’ energy costs 5 to 10% on average and include energy consumption analysis, on-site product and behaviour upgrades and participation in energy procurement and curtailment programs
- Building Certification including Energy Star labels, LEED and BREEAM In-Use. We have helped hundreds of buildings achieve the EPA Energy Star label since 2009 and have achieved tens of millions of square feet of property LEED certification. C&W was the first real estate services firm to certify properties under the LEED Volume Certification Program in the United States and we are the only firm in Europe that has enrolled all of our managed properties with the BREEAM In-Use system
- Product & Service Procurement advice on leading technologies, services, and products to facilitate environmentally and fiscally sound selections, including renewable energy opportunities. Leveraged procurement strategies deliver both best pricing and quality of service to our clients
- Tenant & Occupant Engagement Guidance to enhance cooperation between tenants and landlords and inspire action by all stakeholders
We create sustainable building standards in the design and construction of new buildings and tenant fit-out projects, including LEED certification. Through an integrated project delivery approach, Cushman & Wakefield helps minimise costs during design and construction, and throughout the life of the project space.
Cushman & Wakefield’s guidance on site selection helps clients meet sustainability standards and goals. We work with clients to incorporate green lease provisions that allow tenants and landlords to equitably advance energy efficiency and other sustainability goals.
Valuation & advisory
We provide research and advice to optimize the value proposition of green strategies by identifying and quantifying the feasibility, costs and benefits, and return implications of various green options with a goal of minimizing risk and maximizing longer-term asset and portfolio value. Services range from analyzing options at the individual property level, to comparing whole building strategies across a suite of projects, and formulating optimal finance strategies.
C&W’s Corporate Commitment to Sustainability
Cushman & Wakefield leads by example through a commitment to reduce the environmental footprint of the buildings we occupy and manage, engaging our employees and clients in these efforts, and through thought leadership.
Leading by example
As the only commercial real estate services firm to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the US EPA, we committed to publicly disclose our progress towards our 2012 emissions reduction goal. As a Champion Sponsor of the BOMA 7 Point Challenge we have committed to reduce energy consumption levels of our managed portfolio to 30% below the national average.
Employees, education, and engagement
We support focused education and training that keep our workforce at the cutting edge of sustainability. Cushman & Wakefield maintains numerous knowledge and best-practice sharing networks including our Energy & Sustainability Task Force and specialty practice groups. Innovative programs such as our award-winning Cushman & Wakefield Environmental Challenge, encourage greater achievement. Our Cushman & Wakefield Green Office, Earth Day, and Earth Hour activities inspire creative thinking, individual expression and collective action.
Serious engagement, partnering with technical experts, and taking part in industry dialogue to develop and mould legislation beneficial to the building industry are among our thought leadership priorities. Cushman & Wakefield also provides client-focused education including seminars, market briefings, and industry publications.
Cushman & Wakefield is recognized as an innovative leader in the field. Our clients’ properties have enjoyed top industry awards for green building and other sustainability achievements. We are honoured to have received awards from CoreNet Global, BOMA International, US EPA, and IFMA, among others, for our innovative programs, superior property and facility achievement, and commitment to advancing sustainability.